Home Asia Rescuers say no one else believed trapped in India building collapse

Rescuers say no one else believed trapped in India building collapse

22
0
SHARE

MUMBAI: The death toll from a collapsed apartment block in India rose to 16 overnight as rescuers said on Wednesday (Aug 26) they didn't expect to find anyone else trapped dead or alive in the rubble.

Local officials had initially feared up to 200 residents of 47 flats were buried when the block collapsed late Monday in Mahad, south of Mumbai.

Advertisement

Advertisement

But many were spared, having fled the town weeks earlier to wait out the coronavirus pandemic in their home villages.

"We are in the final stages and don't expect anyone (else) trapped under the debris," Shiv Kumar, a spokesman for India's National Disaster Response Force, told AFP.

Emergency workers rescued nine people from the wreckage, with the loudest cheers reserved for a four-year-old boy found alive on Tuesday afternoon.

Shell-shocked residents said they had previously complained to the builder about the condition of the complex, with police launching an investigation against him and four other people in connection with the tragedy.

Advertisement

Advertisement

Local politician Manik Motiram Jagtap told TV9 Marathi that the building was 10 years old and built on "weak" foundations.

"It fell like a house of cards," he said.

READ: More than 60 survivors pulled from collapsed building in India

Building collapses are common during India's June-September monsoon, with old and rickety structures buckling after days of noRead More – Source

[contf] [contfnew]

channel news asia

[contfnewc] [contfnewc]