A woman suffered third-degree burns to her arms and hands in a freak accident whilst soaking her acrylic nails.
Maya Edwards, 19, was soaking her nails in a bowl of acetone on Sunday night, when it suddenly went up in flames.
After removing her talons, a nearby candle that Maya had lit earlier mixed with the toxic chemical fumes, setting the bowl alight.
In a desperate attempt to stop the blaze spreading, Maya sprinted to the bathroom holding the bowl and threw it into the bath.
But in a stroke of bad luck, the 19-year-old accidentally set the shower curtain on fire and suffered third degree burns in the horrific incident on Sunday night.
Her screams caused her mother Jules Keeling, 45, to run in and see what was going on.
Jules, who works in the Breast Care Centre in Glenfield Hospital, Leicester, rushed her daughter to Leicester Royal Infirmary Hospital immediately.
Now Maya, of Glenfield, Leicester, who works as an admin in an accountancy firm, will be receiving a series of skin grafts on her hands and up her arms later this week.
Acetone is a flammable chemical and is a component of many shop nail polish removers.
She said: I am in constant pain. I am lucky to not have burns covering my face and lucky to not have burnt our home down.
Maya has now shared photographs of her burns on Facebook in order to warn other women about using the chemical commonly used in nail treatments.
I want to raise the awareness of just how dangerous acetone, that we soak our acrylics off with, in the same room as a candle can be the caption read.
She said: Honestly be careful, yes it says flammable – but you dont realise just how flammable it can be, even just from fumes mixing with the heat.
The bottle does warn you that it is flammable but never did I expect this outcome.